Windows 7 is approved for the NJIT community. Faculty and students can download Windows 7 at the IST Software Download page. Administrative departments interested in installing Windows 7 must contact the IST HelpDesk for a consultation. The Technology Support Center will then assess departments computers and create a migration plan for the department.
Before your installation, you should determine the following:
- Whether or not personal programs on the computer are Windows 7 compatible.
- Whether you have the original install media and licenses, (CDs, DVDs, Floppy Disks, etc) for all personal programs.
Note about Anti-Virus Software: Windows 7 is compatible with the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7, offered on the IST Software Download Website. For free anti-virus alternatives, visit either Microsoft's Security Essentials Page, or AVG's Free Anti-Virus Website.
When you begin the Windows 7 installation process, you will be given two installation options: "clean" and "upgrade". NJIT only supports clean installations of Windows 7. A clean installation of Windows 7 will remove all programs, data, documents, pictures and files from your computer, and replace your operating system with Windows 7. "Upgrade" installations are not available for users with Windows XP. "Upgrade" installations from Vista are not supported.
Windows 7 Requirements
Windows 7 requires a more powerful computer than Windows XP did. Some NJIT computers may not meet the hardware compatibility requirements for Windows 7. The best way to check your system specifications is to use the Direct X System Diagnostic Tool. Information about using this tool is located at http://ist.njit.edu/compreq/systemspecs.php. This website will explain how to use Direct X to view your current system hardware information and compare it with the requirements listed below.
Minimum Requirements to install 32-bit Windows 7 on an NJIT PC:
Institutional computers are to be purchased from the Dell-NJIT website. Contact the Purchasing department at x5789 for information about the Dell-NJIT website. The minimum system configuration is:
- CPU: 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 class CPU. Hyper-threading or dual-core CPU's STRONGLY recommended. No Celeron or Duron processors will do.
- RAM: 2 GB. 4GB or more STRONGLY recommended
- Video Card: 256MB supporting DirectX 10.0 STRONGLY recommended, no on-board video card
- Hard Drive: 120GB Serial-ATA or better with at least 20GB free
- Media drives: DVD-ROM, DVD/CD-Writer recommended
- USB: USB 2.0
- Floppy: optional
- Multimedia Card Reader: optional
- Firewire: optional
- Sound Card: optional
- PC MUST pass the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor test without ANY issues.
Support for Microsoft Windows 7
IST supports Windows 7 for faculty, students and administrative departments. Anyone seeking support for Windows 7 should consult IST's support pages. For additional questions, please contact the IST HelpDesk at (973) 596-2900 or at http://help.njit.edu.
The 64-bit edition of Windows 7 is also available to NJIT community members who demonstrate the need and the more powerful computer requirements. More information on 64-bit Windows 7 is available at the 64-bit Windows 7 Information Page.
NJIT Links for Windows 7
- Windows 7 (32-bit) download page
- Windows 7 FAQs
- Window 7 installation instructions
- Software compatibility
- Windows 7 training resources
- Minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7
Microsoft Support links for Windows 7: