IST's Position on Windows 10
On July 29, 2015 Microsoft released Windows 10. In advance of this release, Microsoft announced that customers with “qualified Windows 7 and 8 devices” would be able to get Windows 10 as a free upgrade (customers will have one year from the release date for the free upgrade). Many of our users want to know if and when they should upgrade.
Windows 10 Education is now available for faculty and students on the IST Software Download website. The Education version is posted for academic and research purposes only, and is not meant for use on your main PC for University business. If you are thinking about installing Windows 10, please take into consideration that Windows 10 must not be installed on any device used for University business. Users looking for support related to the installation or use of Windows 10 should review the support materials available on Microsoft's website, linked below. Windows 10 is not available for staff at this time.
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is now updated to be compatible with Windows 10, and is available here. IST strongly encourages all users to install a compatible antivirus program and ensure it is always up to date with the latest definitions.
The IST Division continues to test Windows 10 to ensure compatibility with the software and services commonly used on campus. Once that is complete, we will announce a plan for official support and roll out of Windows 10 to the entire community.
Still Thinking About Updating to Windows 10?
If you are thinking about installing Windows 10 on a secondary machine please take into consideration the following:
- Software - Not all software will be compatible with Windows 10 upon launch. If there is software that you need please check compatibility before upgrading.
- Upgrade vs Fresh Install - The IST division always recommends a fresh installation to avoid the pitfalls of the upgrade process, such as driver and software misconfiguration and corrupted preferences. When performing a fresh installation you will need to backup all of your data and ensure that you have the original software installation media.
Purchasing Microsoft Windows 10
You do not need to purchase Windows 10. Current NJIT students and faculty are licensed for a copy of Windows 10 Education for research and academic needs from the IST Software Download website.
Microsoft Windows 10 Resources:
- Windows 10 Specifications
- Microsoft’s Windows 10 Questions and Answers
- Microsoft Community - Window 10 Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about the release or support of Windows 10, please contact the HelpDesk at 973-596-2900 or http://help.njit.edu.