For Fall 2016 / Spring 2017, NJIT has partnered with Dell Computer to provide a discount on computers meeting or exceeding the specifications below. See the Fall 2016 Models page for details. Please note all students entering the College of Architecture and Design must purchase the required desktop model for their program.
Recommended Baseline Specifications for non-CoAD students - Notebook Computer:
- 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 processor
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- Room for future expansion strongly encouraged
- 320GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive or 256GB solid-state SATA hard drive
- Minimum 160GB free after operating for NJIT-licensed software installations
- 500GB or greater external hard drive encouraged for data backup
- Gigabit Ethernet (USB adapter OK)
- Dual-band 802.11 ac/g/n wireless card
- DVD -/+ RW drive (external OK)
- LCD capable of 1920x1080 resolution
- 2GB discrete graphics card
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (available from IST Software)
- 3+ year warranty with next-business day onsite repair
- Additional warranty coverage for accidental damage strongly encouraged
- A fully-charged spare battery is strongly encouraged to ensure a full-days’ worth of power
What do you mean by “recommended baseline specifications”?
NJIT chose these specifications with a 4-year usable lifecycle in mind. Students may be able to extend this lifecycle even further through proper care and modest future hardware upgrades. NJIT recognizes some students may have recently acquired a computer with comparable specifications, perhaps falling short on RAM, processor speed, or graphics capability. While such a computer may be viable for a limited time, it will be necessary for you to acquire a new computer that meets or exceeds the specifications listed above during or soon after your first year of studies.
What are the advantages of purchasing a computer through the NJIT vendor?
The Technology Support Center (TSC) provides both hardware and software support for models purchased through NJIT’s chosen vendor. Certified technicians can diagnose and repair original hardware and NJIT-licensed issues to the extent permitted by each license for these computers at no additional cost to the student so long as the warranty is current and active.
- For hardware issues, our relationship with our vendor allows us to order and install warranty replacement parts directly from the manufacturer.
By default, this does not include accidentally damaged parts, but you have the option to add this coverage at the time of purchase.
- For software issues, our technicians will provide assistance for problems encountered during installation of NJIT-licensed software to the extent permitted by each license. Students are ultimately responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of their own computer.
Can I purchase a computer elsewhere? and What level of support does NJIT provide for such purchases?
Yes, but NJIT’s support is significantly limited in comparison to the level of support offered for computers purchased through our vendor partnership. TSC makes software from the NJIT software bundle available to all students free of charge. However, our technicians can only provide assistance for problems encountered during the installation of NJIT-licensed software to the extent permitted by each license. We are unable to assist or troubleshoot issues determined to be the result of a mis-configuration or malfunction of the computer. Students are responsible for ensuring the software is compatible with the computer’s hardware, as well as ensuring the drivers for their various components and peripherals work properly with the software. Students are also responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of their computer, including protecting it from malware and security threats. The NJIT software package includes McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Edition. All students are strongly encouraged to install this anti-virus software and practice safe computing. TSC cannot provide hardware support for computers purchased outside of the partnership program with our vendor, even from the same manufacturer. However, students are welcome to seek a brief consultation from TSC staff for advice regarding hardware upgrades or replacements.
I still have additional questions. Who can I contact?
Please visit http://ist.njit.edu/compreq for the most up-to-date information. Questions on the computer requirement can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the IST HelpDesk at (973) 596-2900 or http://helpdesk.njit.edu.